Watering Restrictions

The United City of Yorkville is dedicated to preserving water and follows a Water Conservation Ordinance (PDF) that is in effect from May 1 through September 30.

Lawn Sprinkling Permitted Times

The ordinance permits lawn sprinkling between the hours of 5 and 9 a.m. and/or 9 p.m. and midnight for landscaping watering or the filling of swimming pools only as follows:
  • Even-numbered addresses on even-numbered calendar days only during permitted hours of water use
  • Odd-numbered addresses on odd-numbered calendar days only during permitted hours of water use

Unrestricted Water Use

The following is not restricted as to the hours or days when water may be used:
  • Landscape watering or sprinkling done by the use of a hand-held watering device
  • The filling of swimming pools with a volume of 50 gallons or less of water
  • The automatic watering of trees and shrubs by means of automatic root-feed or drip-irrigation systems within the drip line of the tree or shrub
  • Vehicle and equipment washing
  • Any other lawful use of water and other normal household uses not otherwise specifically restricted by the provisions of the ordinance

Planting New Seed or Sod

Prior to sod laying or lawn seeding, residents must obtain a Sod Watering Permit (PDF) from the United City of Yorkville. Residents planting sod and/or seed should have the installation completed before July 1.

Months for Installing New Lawns

To conserve water during the hottest summer months (July and August), residents are prohibited from installing new lawns during these months. If your new lawn is not installed before July 1, you must wait until September. For 2016 this ban has been extended until October 2nd as stated in an Emergency Proclamation by Mayor Gary Golinski.

Penalties for Ordinance Violation

According to the City's Water Conservation Ordinance, there are penalties for those who violate the ordinance:
  • 1st offense is $50
  • 2nd offense is $125
  • $500 for each subsequent offense
Fines are due within 10 days of violation and are payable to the City Clerk's Office.